The beautiful temple complex of Wat Mai Suwankiri
While there are many Buddhist temples in Tumpat, let’s take a look at the magnificent structure that caught our attention today: The beautiful Dragon Boat Temple or Wat Mai Suwankiri.
A quick tour of the temple complex
Happy Diwali, peeps!
Hope you have a wonderful time with family and friends. Today, as I headed back from a warm family lunch at a friend’s place in Tumpat, I spotted a gorgeous temple on my way back. My friend had to pull over for us to admire the intricate details of the temple and click pictures to showcase the world that there are structures of great magnitude and importance in Kelantan as well.
Tumpat, a district of Kelantan, lies right next to Kota Bharu. It shares its borders with Thailand and Pasir Mas as well. A 45-minute drive from Kota Bharu city centre takes you to some of the most gorgeous Buddhist temples of Tumpat. This quiet little town forms the link between the Western area of Peninsular Malaysia and the state of Kelantan.
- It is built on a dragon boat with naga-like creatures on either side
- The boat is surrounded by water on all sides
- Believed to be over a few hundred years old, the statue of the Buddha stands tall
- A wax statue and the body of Phor Tan Di is preserved for worshippers to seek blessings
- The temple lies at Kampung Bukit Tanah, close to Wat Phikulthong
- Various shrines run through the expanse of the temple
The main pieces to note would be that of the dragon heads, garuda, Buddha, lamps, ceiling murals, archways, gateways, huge bells and pillars.
Hope you enjoyed the tour. Would you like to read about the other temples of Tumpat? Let us know in the comments below…
Check out our travel & food posts on Instagram.
Eat – Travel – Enjoy